Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#86326 - 03/03/11 11:37 PM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: jefny]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: jefny
There is still a signal issue because when I make any changes the projector takes a bit of time to search and find the signal. I did notice when I plugged the hdmi cable directly from the bluray player to the projector it found the signal much faster. Hopefully, when I substitute a 1.5' HDMI for the 5' cable that runs from the player to the SR5005 I will be reducing the overall length.

Any time the output signal changes, you're likely to have to get a new HDCP handshake. HDCP handshakes always take longer when you have more devices in the signal path, and the duration is very dependent on the interactions between devices. It's one of the annoying side-effects of using HDMI.

Originally Posted By: jefny
The Outlaw tech did suggest an active extender to replace the passive one I'm using so I am looking for a recommendation for one. I did see the Tripp Lite B122-000 HDMI Extender, HDMI F/F on Amazon. Anyone familiar with this?

I haven't used any HDMI extenders, so I can't offer any help there. Sorry.

#86349 - 03/05/11 06:44 AM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: gonk]
jefny Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Manhasset, NY, USA
Gonk:

Again, thanks for your reply. I got a similar reply from the Outlaw tech via email. As you stated in an earlier email I am real close, if not there, in completely resolving this issue. Everything is mostly working and when we watch a good bluray movie the sight and sound is the best I ever had. I'll continue posting my experiences, especially if I get an active extender.

By the way, I am considering getting a second DVD player, an upconverting one which are going for $40, and stick it up close behind the projector which has a second hdmi input for non-bluray dvd's.

#86368 - 03/06/11 10:47 AM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: jefny]
gonk Offline
Desperado

A $40 upconverting DVD player's going to do really poor upconverting. Deinterlacing in particular is a difficult thing to get right. If you get such a player, I'd set it to output 480i and let your projector do the video processing, as it's probably going to be better at it.

#86392 - 03/07/11 04:05 PM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: gonk]
nurhaci Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO
Originally Posted By: gonk
If the receiver or processor offers room correction, it's only available via HDMI.

Is this true? I've been anxiously waiting for the new Outlaw pre-pro (or perhaps the SR5005), but if legacy media & equipment are shut out from Audyssey... I don't have Blu-Ray, so why the hell should I bother?

#86395 - 03/07/11 05:51 PM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: nurhaci]
gonk Offline
Desperado

That comment was relative to HDMI vs. multichannel analog only, not HDMI vs. every other input on the unit. Room correction is done in the digital domain, so all digital audio inputs (HDMI, coaxial, and optical) and any analog inputs that are being converted to digital (typically all stereo analog inputs unless you select a mode that produces an analog bypass) can make use of room correction.

#86405 - 03/07/11 09:03 PM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: gonk]
jefny Offline
Gunslinger

I replaced the 5 foot hdmi cable that went from the bluray player to the receiver with a 1.5 foot one and so far everything seems to be working. I spoke with the Outlaw tech and he believes this will improve signal strength over via hdmi and so far so good.

The $40 player is a Toshiba upconverting to 1080p but if the Panasonic BD85 continues to work as it is now I will leave everything alone for awhile and enjoy my hi def picture and sound. Again thanks Gonk for your input.

John

#86409 - 03/07/11 11:13 PM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: jefny]
gonk Offline
Desperado

HDMI can be a real pest to get working sometimes, especially when cable lengths get even in the vicinity of the standard limit. Glad to hear you've got it basically sorted out now.

Toshiba made a big fuss about their upscaling players after they ditched the HD-DVD format. The reality was that they were still just scaling a 480i signal. Panasonic's recent Blu-ray players have been respectable upscalers - and a DVD player in the sub-$50 price range is going to use a single system-on-chip for everything (video decoding, audio decoding, video deinterlacing, and video scaling). Nothing special, and not worth the money or hassle to try to integrate into your system.

#86414 - 03/08/11 12:41 AM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: gonk]
nurhaci Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO
Originally Posted By: gonk
That comment was relative to HDMI vs. multichannel analog only, not HDMI vs. every other input on the unit. Room correction is done in the digital domain, so all digital audio inputs (HDMI, coaxial, and optical) and any analog inputs that are being converted to digital (typically all stereo analog inputs unless you select a mode that produces an analog bypass) can make use of room correction.

Thanks for clarifying... I guess I have to read more before panicking.

#86618 - 03/25/11 07:28 AM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: gonk]
jefny Offline
Gunslinger

Just an update. I continued to have problems with my projector having difficulties finding the hdmi signal coming through a long run, especially after I press the wrong button on the SR50005 remote (changing the source). I finally did get the active extender and it seems to make a difference. Now when I turn on the projector it automatically finds the signal rather than me having to tell it to search. My projector did suddenly lose the hdmi signal while watching a movie but it refound it within seconds. My last change will be to substitute a 10 foot hdmi cable for the 15 footer (I currently have the 15 footer and a 25 footer attached with the extender). This will shave 5 feet off the total length.

As for the Marantz itself I am slowly learning all aspects of its operation. For example, in order to select a source (bd, dvd, tv) from the remote you have to press the button twice. In order to get the Marantz menu on the screen (my plasma TV which I use in addition to my projector), I have to turn off the bluray player and it now appears, making menu changes easier to make. I must mention that Scott from Outlaw tech support has been invaluable and I gave him my thanks for his patience. For anyone thinking about purchasing an Outlaw product, it's nice to know that you can easily call someone for help.

In the end, my wife and I are really enjoying the glorious picture and sound of my set up.

John

#86834 - 04/22/11 08:47 AM Re: Has anyone replaced an Outlaw pre-amp/receiver [Re: jefny]
jefny Offline
Gunslinger

Just another update. I actually substituted a 12 foot hdmi cable for the 15 footer to shave 3 feet off the total length(40 feet made up of a 25 footer hi speed and the 15 footer, hi speed, now a 12 footer) but the result was no picture. After reconnecting the cable I realized that the connector at the end of it was problematical. It did not go in very easily and I had to gently jiggle it around to get the signal through.

I went back to the 15 footer and the result was a clear connection. Monoprice agreed that it may have been a faulty connector and I was reimbursed. I think I will leave well enough alone as everything is working fine.

John

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM