Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78888 - 05/18/07 02:21 PM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Thanks guys! smile

I'm currently wondering on what to do about a shelf or rack for the amp. My current A/V rack will not support its weight, so I'm debating either a small TV bench from Ikea (or somewhere else) or getting brick plate cut to dimension and sitting it on the floor.

#78889 - 05/20/07 01:30 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
mookdoc6 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Antioch Il
7200 probably needs nothing written in the "about" section except for "sick" and don't move it unless you have help!

The plugs will fit no problem! Keep your cables under control so there is no noise and you will be set! Let us know how it's going after setup........

MOOK, has got to go play his sick shizit equipment now!

#78890 - 05/20/07 05:07 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Dang, I keep checking Fed Ex tracking every few hours! laugh

Supposedly it may arrive Monday, though the last update is when it left Cali the 16th, here's to hoping Monday will be good to me! :p

#78891 - 05/22/07 12:47 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

I received it today, major hum problems frown

I disconnected the TV cable and input cables and switched to a different outlet, still there.

Disconnected every three prong cord in the house and threw a few breakers, it was reduced. Plugged everything back in one at a time, hum was still low.

Plugged the unit back in to the original outlet and the low hum turned into no hum. After a few minutes of CD playback, the loud hum returned.

It's quite loud too, and you can hear the hum "fire back up" as the amp's channels click on during startup... frown

#78892 - 05/22/07 01:04 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Turned it back on, it's completely gone...wth? eek

fridge compressor kicking on maybe?

#78893 - 05/22/07 02:48 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I'd look to see what is on the circuit you are using. If there is a refrigerator or other motor on the circuit it can induce the hum you are hearing. Also, if there are any dimmer switches or light timers on that circuit a hum can be induced. Have some patience and think like Sherlock Holmes as you search out the cause of the hum.

#78894 - 05/22/07 03:20 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
mookdoc6 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Antioch Il
You have to watch the cables from behind first! Where is the power going to a decent surge protector I hope. Route that cable away from the amp and rca,speaker wire etc. Probably your problem and should not cost ya a thing! If for some reason the house was built in the 40's and what not! Buy a panamax conditioner like 200.00 problem solved! But I doubt you will have to do that if you place all them cables accordingly! Don't even worry about anything else except what is going on behind all the components!

#78895 - 05/22/07 11:13 PM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks guys! smile

I think I'm going to try out the PS Audio Humbuster or UPC-200HB.

The transformers seem to be humming, so I'm guessing there is DC in the line. Also, the hum appears shift in severity, from none, to low, to high depending on the time I turn the amp on.

Otherwise, the difference in sound quality is marked, even at low volumes. I'm hearing subtle detail I quite honestly never heard before (in my limited listening so far), two examples:

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (SACD)

The very beginning with the concussive "heartbeats", with the 7200 I can hear a layer of soft piano taps and a "record dust" effect I never heard before.

Lost Highway - Soundtrack (CD)

During the opening of Angelo Badalamenti's Red Bats with Teeth there's a strange rocking chair crackling effect and a really eerie synth sound effect I simply never heard before. Also Lou Reed's cover of This Magic Moment sounds simply fantastic now. I know this might sound weird, but it now sounds the way I always imagined it should sound in my head. laugh

I've only sampled one DVD: Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

eek

The first thing I noticed was all the "new" foley sound effects I heard, like the rustling of Arnie's leather jacket or the sheer "realism" of the sound of his boots hitting the tile floor of the Cyberdyne building after kneecaps the SWAT team.

And everything simply sounds better as well, even dialogue from the center channel. One small detail that sounded awesome was the Terminator grabbing a pry bar to rip his shattered arm from the large gear the T-1000 pushed him into. The "dragging" sound of the bar was eye poppingly realistic in a way I never heard before. As you can tell, I've seen T2 way too much. :p

The film sounds so much better to me now, I gotta question the real need for "lossless" audio tracks if "standard" Dolby 5.1 can sound this good. laugh

If I can temper or kill the hum beast outright, this thing is a keeper! laugh

#78896 - 05/24/07 12:40 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I disconnected everything from the amp, and it still hums.

I pushed the amp to a different outlet, and it still hums.

This is getting annoying. frown

#78897 - 05/25/07 01:06 AM Re: My Quest Has Ended.
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Well, all hope isn't lost.

I called Outlaw today and while they were very prompt, both my home and cell phone had enormous problems with staying connected.

I spoke, albeit briefly, with Tom. He suggested that it could be DC on the line coming off the pole and questioned whether I used a isolation transformer.

That's how far the conversation got before my cell disconnected...again! frown

Though it was comforting to hear him immediately ponder whether it was DC on the line. Something I personally figured might be the prime suspect.

The Ps Audio UPC-200HB (hopefully) will be shipping soon, so we'll see if it can temper the DC.

Anyone know of any other solutions, like isolation transformers, perhaps? Anything that's nicely cost effective? I'd really not like to spend nearly just as much on a power device as the amp itself to solve the problem...this is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed the Humbuster will fix it.

Also, I'm planning on installing a 20amp circuit with a separate grounding rod just for the amp.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM