"1) 1080 vertical pixels"
That'll do 1080P. That'll be great one day when we can upconvert all our 1080i TV/SAT/Cable signals to it. That's my idea of perfection, but 720P and 1080i are still pretty close to perfect. Oh yeah... 10 foot screen. Scratch that.
The word I heard is HD-DVD's will probably be 720P and not 1080P so that sucks if it ends up being true.
1080P and higher is already available from LCoS makers, but the chips ain't gettin' into actual systems yet. Must be a production problem?
Three-Five systems has a killer 1200x1920 chip that could do 1200x1600 4:3 comp. monitor rez. or 1080x1920 the exaulted highest level of consumer HD spec.
"2) That RF bulb !!!!"
Yeah, the company that looks like the big developer seems to have fallen off the map. They suposedly used these RF bulbs to light the U.S. Dept. of Energy building even? There's gotta be a story to dig up here.
G.E. is working on this too, but I find not info from this giant 'bulb' company??
"3) Good blacks"
I'd settle for as good as CRT (which seems to be about here already though still debatable I guess)..., but I'd prefer 'better than CRT'.
When I can't tell where the letterbox bars of my screen end and the actual black cabinet of my RPTV begins then I'll be happy. heh
Maybe if the chips get cheap enough in the future they could overlay a black/clear (on/off) LCD on top of a DLP that would be used just to further block out bulb light on the low end of the gray scale?
Like a double black filter. If that makes sense??
"and 4) There wasn't a new hot motorcycle that was fighting for my money"
Is it a V-Rod or a Buell? I come from Milwaukee and was raised on American Iron, but I 'hear' other companies make motorcycles?? heh. Just kidding if it's a foreign bike... Harley's have a TON of Japanese parts on 'em so it's silly to called 'American' anyway.
Is it a touring bike? Do I get to make 'old' jokes if it is?? heh
I sadly sold my H-D 883 (w/ full screamin' eagle racing kit) 'cuz I just didn't use it enough (read: wife's fault -just kiddin'). Probably never get another one so put on a few miles for me.
"One question: I had fits with my Sony, having to get 3 replacement units because of dead pixels, until I finally got a perfect one. I don't understand it; I gave them 'perfect' money, and I would like a 'perfect' projector the first time. I noticed in the manual that they say that some number of dead pixels is 'within spec and normal'. I say BULL****!!! Is the dead pixel issue still a problem in your experience?? I hope not....."
Uh... sorry, but I think it very much still is.
TI has this same policy on stuck pixels and with a single chip DLP a bad pixel is a bright white or solid black dot. I forgot the number before they call it 'bad' but something no one ever hits and one bad pixel is enough to ruin the image IMO.
Much easier to see w/ DLP than a bad dot on LCD since it'd be highly improbable that three bad LCD dots would hit the exact same spot, so I give the nod to LCD or LCoS in this 'risk area'.
At a local electronics shop I just saw the new RP Samsung (HD2 DLP chip) with a stuck 'on' pixel. I also saw a bad pixel on a Sony GrandWega (LCD RP). The LCD wasn't too bad at any 'normal seating' distance, but on the DLP the bad pixel very much was.
Probably half of all DLP RP and FP I've seen have had a bad pixel (usual 'off'/black). I thought it was less common w/ LCD, but I'm not sure now?
Any new pixel probs. since you got 'good panels' put in, or was that it?
I think if an LCD panel is good it's not likley to have a pixel's electrical connection go bad(though just a guess really?), but w/ DLP pixels the mirror's hinge gets 'stuck' and it can happen at any time during it's life (not a guess).
The big posters on AVSforum's projector section would know more. You could do a search there even as I know it's been talked about in the past.
Too bad CRT is just too HUGE and too HEAVY and too low light for FrontP for most people. It's still the best/most dependable picture IMO.
But there's nothing like comparing a 4 lbs. projector that's far brighter than a 250 lbs. one.
In RearP I think CRT still clearly wins over the microdisplay options in every respect (esp. cost) other than cabinet size... but @ a size like my 65" screen.. microdisplay sets still have close to the same size cabinet, and though somewhat lighter... weight isn't an issue IMO either since a CRT RP rolls very easily if you have to move it and you have to do the same for a Large microdisplay set (or if tabletop design -carry it and move it's stand).
I do expect microdisplays to dominate RP in a few years though. Maybe 3-4 years I'll bet. Once they get cheaper and higher quality than CRT.
I figured it'd have happened by now but it hasn't.