ok, you got me.
i'm still a prospective buyer (950/7100+cables) with a few anxieties about pulling the trigger...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
source:- http://hometheaterhifi.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-29.html

author - Brian Florian
Not sure about the Vans (I mean, I don't know what their rated Impedance is). If they are not a particularly difficult load, a receiver can do well. With a decent AV receiver (with pre-outs) you can add a power amplifier later. That's how I use my Onkyo TX-SR800. There is not a single speaker hooked up to it. I felt, after looking at everything out there, that it was the best processor around $1K (better than the Outlaw for sure). The 950 really missed the mark on software. Its CPU is very slow and there are several errors in the way it does things (time alignment, digital input assignment etc).
---------------------------------------------------------------------

While I am inclined to believe the praises about the 950's sound quality, the above comments really make me worry. Can those shortcomings be overcome or we just have to live with them? Are they really that bad or simply inconveniences? should i wait for the new 970(???) with the fix?

reading a new owner's (jeff davis) rave comments of the 950/770 somehow give me something to hold on to if ever i pull the trigger.

ronald