Blu-ray

Posted by: butchgo

Blu-ray - 05/07/08 07:40 PM

It's official now.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=852601
Posted by: gonk

Re: Blu-ray - 05/07/08 09:15 PM

Official, and a bit pricey. Granted, the ethernet connection and greater audio processing have to have some price associated with them, but I'd think that Blu-ray would be well served by about a $100 drop for both the BD30 and the BD50. At least there will be a couple of profile 2.0 standalone players with full on-board decoding to choose from soon...

Re: Blu-ray - 05/07/08 10:03 PM

True.
Sony has their S550 and I am sure that Oppo will have something, hopefully by X-mas.
Any rumors from Oppo that you could share master field tester? smile

Re: Blu-ray - 05/07/08 10:25 PM

Oh, I wish I had something on an OPPO Blu-ray player... wink I think it's still too early for them to have anything for any of us.

Re: Blu-ray - 05/07/08 10:38 PM

I know but I am willing to wait.
I am hoping that Oppo my have something by year end or early 1st quarter 2009.
With Oppo's dedication to quality units and fair prices that makes me want to sit it out for a few more months.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: Blu-ray - 05/08/08 12:52 AM

Yes, an OPPO 983BD would be sweet. OPPO, are you listening?

Re: Blu-ray - 05/08/08 03:20 AM

AvFan,

Good call on the new Oppo model number.
I think Gonk knows more that he is willing to divulge!!!!!! wink

Re: Blu-ray - 05/08/08 03:45 AM

I would absolutely love a 983H mated to Blu-ray, but my suspicion (based on some comments made by Neuromancer and others at AVS) is that their first Blu-ray player will not include the ABT technology. If that's the case, I'll be among the first to suggest that a future Blu-ray player tries something like AvFan's 983BD.

Believe me, I've missed very few opportunities to pry a bit about an OPPO Blu-ray player, but no joy yet. When they publicly admitted to plans for a Blu-ray player back in the winter, I guessed that it'd be 2009 before there was actual hardware in production. I still think that's the case, so it's likely to be the fall before we see some details about it "in the wild" similar to the AVS 983H anticipation thread.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: Blu-ray - 05/08/08 05:56 AM

If the buzz generated in advance of the 983H is any indication ANY BD player from OPPO will get lots of "replies" on an AVS thread. I guess from a marketing standpoint OPPO wouldn't want to start with the ultimate DVD/BD player. But hey, we can always hope. Regardless, when/if OPPO offers up a 980BD I'll be on the pre-order list in a flash!

So Gonk, we all appreciate any info you can pry out of OPPO. wink wink
Posted by: bestbang4thebuck

Re: Blu-ray - 10/29/08 09:11 PM

Agree, disagree, or ???

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=365
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: Blu-ray - 10/29/08 11:19 PM

And it may take down standard DVDs and CDs down with it. I have been expecting this since Sun Microsystems proclaimed that "the network is the computer" back in the late 90s. Here's a related post if we are taking bets on a prediction. smile
Posted by: akdrama

Re: Blu-ray - 10/30/08 02:40 PM

Vinyl seems to be gaining momentum, but this is due to audio quality. I don't know that there will be any stabilization of the digital realm until the audio element becomes superior to analog.

Now that you have multi channel format broadcast over cable, movies on demand....you don't have to stock up a DVD library. (Side note) Of course this means we've become a pay-for-access consumer. The days of public TV stations are going away. It appalls me last year you had to pay NFL network to watch Monday Night Football, which has been available to us over public broadcast for many years. Now you need cable. I rarely buy DVD's anymore with NetFlix, except for smaller labels and specialty box sets. CD however are different because we play them so repeatedly. I refuse to buy an mp3 player until it is lossless audio. Of course, this may be all for not if the recording sound engineers keep messing with the compression of the recordings.

I think with the advent of cell phones, we will have pocket servers that will access our own home based server/hard drive for media storage...or a business based media server. You can now watch MLB TV through a compatible cell phone.

CD will survive because we are a nostalgic culture, however I think you might be right garcianc2003, DVD will slowly go away....UNLESS the electronic industry keeps finding ways to "put lipstick on a pig." There are always consumers who want the next "better" product.

That is my rant for today.

I was always told in audio simpler is better, but with technology...I sure love the thought of watching the Phillies win the World Series on my cell phone if I have to work a late night.
Posted by: psyprof1

Re: Blu-ray - 10/30/08 04:00 PM

Akdrama, I was pleased to see that you began your "rant" saying that analog, specifically the audio quality of vinyl still hasn't been equaled by any other medium. This makes even sadder the lack of a phono input on the new 997. I realize the act of omission was committed by Sherwood Newcastle with the chassis the 997's based on, but still . . . just think how an Outlaw phono preamp equal to that in the 1250 receiver for less than $250 would sweep the field! After all, the 990 or its successor is the only audio center for lots of us who don't have dedicated HT spaces.
Posted by: psyprof1

Re: Blu-ray - 10/30/08 04:02 PM

Oops - I meant the RR2150 of course.
Posted by: Bob Becker

Re: Blu-ray - 10/31/08 01:10 PM

I do not see the absence of a phono amp as a major problem because there are a number of good, not very expensive external phono amps on the market. In addition some people prefer moving magnet and others moving coil cartridges, so adding an internal phono amp means adding 2. Some would argue that you get better sound from an outboard phono amp that is away from the large transformer in the receiver.

But my response is to the other issue, the death of over-the-air TV. I think the switch to digital Feb. 17 will largely kill it because digital over-the-air is not yet ready for prime time.

I have had a digital tuner for over a year and now have a converter box for the remaining analog TV in the house. On windy days I cannot watch digital channels, even though my UHF antenna is in the attic, not on the chimney. In the evening, when air traffic is heavy into National Airport I often cannot get the NBC affiliate's digital signal. I live near the highest point in DC and all major stations' transmitters are less than 10 miles from me. I have complained to the station's engineer to no avail, and I really don't think broadcasters really care because a large part of their audiences are buying cable, satellite, or fiber optic services. I do not want to pay for TV, and so far have avoided doing so. But come February I may have to give in.
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: Blu-ray - 10/31/08 07:14 PM

My advice is to read the fine print before you buy cable just for HD reception. I live in the DC area and have the DirecTV HD package. However, by law, I am not allowed to receive network HD channels via DirecTV, so I can only get those over-the-air, even though I pay the same as people in other states where the law allows them to get their HD network channels through DirecTV.

I live in Southern Maryland and I don't have the reception problems you do. I get all the networks just fine, along with about 10-12 other digital channels over-the-air.

I am not of the opinion that over the air transmission will necessarily go away. I do believe that the concept will change radically.