Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#67823 - 04/17/08 01:02 PM Changing DSP Modes
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
How does one go about changing DSP modes, I would like to try out some of the different modes but not quite sure how to do it. Also, would like to add them to the MX800 for easy access.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#67824 - 04/17/08 01:44 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are several buttons on the 990's remote (Dolby, DTS, and Stereo) that are used to scroll through available modes. Which modes are offered depends on the signal, so not everything is going to be available all the time. (5 Stereo / 7 Stereo, for example, only works with stereo inputs that are either analog or PCM, not with any Dolby Digital or DTS signals.)

You can look at my MX-700 file for an idea of how I've made them accessible (see "Remote Files" in my sig for my an assortment of 990 files and my MX-700 review for my complete setup file), but basically I have the buttons on page 2 of just about every device I have.

#67825 - 04/17/08 02:39 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Do you think the MX700 files will work for the MX800? Still getting familiar with this 990, what does TNR on the Outlaw remote stand for anyway, it is not obvious to me.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#67826 - 04/17/08 06:31 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yes, the MX-700 files will work for the MX-800 and the MX-850. Once you get into the MX-900 and 950, you have to import the mxf files into their program much like you can with Pronto CCF files, but you can still make use of the files.

"TNR" is an abbreviation for "Tuner" - sort of a short-form way of identifying the processor or receiver.

#67827 - 04/17/08 06:45 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Maybe they should have used a small Outlaw symbol instead of TNR.

I like the 990 so far but I miss a few things that the 950 did differently. I would like to see the DSP mode on the unit rather than the video connection. Once you have everything setup, knowing which video connection your using seems to be unnecessary. Is there a way to change that? I just bought the 990 so I don't think I need to update the firmware, where do I check that and what is the latest version?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#67828 - 04/17/08 07:46 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I would like to see the DSP mode on the unit rather than the video connection. Once you have everything setup, knowing which video connection your using seems to be unnecessary. Is there a way to change that?
I also missed this for a while after getting the 990. With the v3.10 and v3.11 firmware, you can press one of the surround mode buttons once and it will scroll the current mode across the front panel. I don't do that very often, though.
Quote:
I just bought the 990 so I don't think I need to update the firmware, where do I check that and what is the latest version?
Pressing "SELECT" and "INPUT" on the front panel at the same time while the unit is in standby displays the version number, but be careful because "SELECT" and "MENU" will reset the unit to factory defaults. The current version is 3.11, I believe.

#67829 - 04/17/08 08:02 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Mine is scrolling, so I guess I have the update. I'll check it later.

Thanks Gonk

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#67830 - 04/20/08 09:46 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

I am running 3.07 Do you think I should update it?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#67831 - 04/20/08 10:24 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Here's the list of changes made for the latest firmware:
  • SYNC adjustment on front panel: The SYNC button on the remote allows you to adjust the AV sync delay time for the active input without entering the menu. Previously, however, the adjustment only appeared on the on-screen "pop-up" display, which was only visible when watching s-video or componsite vide inputs. Now, the sync adjustment is also displayed on the front panel display, so you can adjust the sync for those component or DVI inputs.
  • Editable audio input labels: Previously, only the DVD and Video 1 through Video 5 inputs could be renamed. Now, all inputs support this except for 7.1 Direct.
  • Fixed front panel input selection: The 7.1 Direct input can now be selected from the front panel's INPUT button.
  • Modified behavior of surround mode buttons on remote: A number of users expressed a desire to be able to see the current surround processing mode on the 990's front panel display. To accomodate this request, the three surround mode buttons on the remote (Stereo, DD, and DTS) now mimic the behavior of the "SURR MODE" button on the front panel when pressed the first time – a single key press will scroll the current surround mode across the front panel display's text box. Pressing the buttons multiple times will still cycle through the modes, as was the case previously.
  • Bass management behavior corrected: Previously, bass management did not work quite as intended in some scenarios. Outlaw has gone back through the bass management and sorted all those problems out. I'll summarize the different ways in which the Model 990's bass management works in the next section.
  • Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx improvements: There were some adjustments made to the software for Pro Logic II/IIx processing (affecting all applications of Pro Logic II/IIx, including Pro Logic processing on top of Dolby Digital or DTS sources).

Personally, I'd go ahead and do the update.

#67832 - 04/20/08 10:52 PM Re: Changing DSP Modes
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

I did the updates and like the results.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM