Really glad I came across this thread and wanted to share my experience with my 976 remotes.

My remote was replaced right around the time I purchased my AVR (976). The Outlaws tell me they could not find an issue with that remote, but I was pleased they swapped it out for me. But the "new" remote was not without issues and I submitted a service request to Outlaw a few weeks later. I was told that the damage with that remote could have only been caused by a drop -- but the remote was never dropped. I recall having to take videos of the remote not working and felt like I had to PROVE to them that I was not making up what I was reporting.

Anyways, the replaced remote recently started acting up, so I contacted Outlaw support. They agreed to look at the device, but "after spending a couple of days testing your 976 remote, we can find no issues with it." They then wanted me to pay them for evaluating the device and also pay the return shipping. I emailed the Outlaws back to make it clear that I was not purposely sending them a working remotes over the last 2 years to waste our time and asked if they could waive the fee and shipping this time around. I felt this request was fair considering a seperate customer service experience mistake that was committed on their behalf. They obliged, but notified me (quite rudely) that any additional issues with this remote will not be fixed under warranty.

The real kicker? The remote I got back has a host of other issues. So like many others, I am looking to an aftermarket remote.

It's really unfortunate that these guys take limited accountability for their product -- just look at this thread! I am feeling validated in my observations of this remote (i.e., that it's junk) after customer service experiences that ended in Outlaw telling me most recently that the mulitple sets of batteries I was using must be defective -- or that maybe I was putting in those batteries the wrong way because their testing revealed no issues with the remote. Well if mine (and it appears many others) remotes are all passing Outlaws tests, the testing either does not reveal (or isn't sensitive enough to) the issue or that there is a bigger issue at hand (defect in the units themselves?). To me the later seems less plausible if people are having success with after market remotes.