I've had my 1050 for a few weeks now without a single problem. Today, though, I was playing a videw game (GT3, if you haven't played it, you gotta try it) when I had to go to the bathroom. I left the game on pause, but the music was still playing in the background.

When I returned from the bathrrom, there was no more sound and the 1050 had turned off. I tried to turn it on, but it immediately turned off again.

The first thing I suspected was the autoprotect feature, so I checked all the speaker connections to make sure nothing was shorted. Nothing was, so I tried disconnecting the speakers completely from the rear of the 1050, just to be sure. Unit still won't turn on. I also unplugged all the RCA jacks and the optical cable, but still no dice. I also tried disconnecting power for a while, then reconnecting. No dice.

Two more things that are odd: For one, if I press the power button, nothing happens. When I press it a second time, the unit turns on and then shuts off. Second, just as the unit starts to turn off, it displays something, scrolling from the right. I only see as far as "sys" before it fades back to black.

I was playing the game through the optical-in on the 1050, and nothing at all was disturbed while I was in the bathroom, so I'm completely confounded. Has anyone out there seen anything remotely like this with a 1050? Any suggestions?

I'm getting a new CD megachanger delivered on Tuesday and it will really kill me if I can't play with it right away.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net