Originally Posted By Deromax
Much faster, yes. But how about a goal of 0 delay? The 990 had no such delay, like I'm sure all external DACs have not. Could you imagine the outcry if an audiophile DAC costing over a grand had such an issue?

Sorry to be persistent about this, but I find this is a major flaw, and that a solution should be found and offered!

The functionalities and sound quality of the model 976 however are really great, and Outlaw should be lauded for that!
I don't think it's a major flaw by any means. You already stated this is your first experience with an HDMI-based processor. IMO HDMI is primarily for HT applications, rather than music.
A solution is found and offered, which you haven't acknowledged reading. (my previous post) All the music you described, is PCM stereo coming in. Why not bring it in via the analog inputs. There are no issues with an analog connection. This is because a pre-pro or AV receiver will require a brief amount of time to detect the digital signal whenever the signal is momentarily lost.
Some of the latency may also be attributed to certain source devices. As you mention the Oppo I use handles this very well. This may not be true for all source devices.