Originally Posted By Deromax
Originally Posted By srrndhound
Is the problem the same if you use the S/PDIF output of the disc player?

I *am* talking about the S/PDIF outputs, since there is typically no HDMI on CD players! wink

The problem exists with all these combinaisons :

CD-audio and CD-MP3 on a Tascam CD-200 CD player, connected by optical or coaxial.

CD-audio, CD-MP3 and files on a USB thumb drive, on a Yamaha BD-S677 connected by HDMI, optical or coaxial.

Any kind of files played on a MacBook Pro connected by the built-in optical output. Bluetooth seem OK with most mp3s (not all) but not with WAV/AIFF files.

DAT tapes on a Technics SV-DA10 connected by optical or coaxial. I'm not using the DAT daily (!) but decided to use it for the test.

Its very simple : as soon as a bitstream is interrupted and/or a digital silence is detected, the 976 will mute, and resume the next song with half a second fade-in. Which happens in between most every songs on most CDs.
A half-second is a long period of time for this discussion. It seems quicker than that to me, so many milliseconds. There is a very brief amount of time in between some tracks on the CDs I tried. Certain tracks that don't start as abruptly, it isn't noticeable at all. Other tracks on the same CD, the quick fade-in can be heard. I think it depends on the CD and how it's mastered, where the 976 loses the audio stream and has to reacquire the signal. I've had the same experience with a USB stick plugged into the Oppo.

I did hook up a stereo cable from my wireless OAW3 to one of the analog stereo connections and checked playing the same CDs and it's not evident at all.

I used this connection with my 975, from my PC to the Aux input (stereo analog). I upmix to all channel stereo. That served to bypass the issue with the 975, which was much more of an issue than with the 976. That will still be my connection of choice for music streaming with the 976.