Originally Posted By arbitrageur
Like others I have had remote commands that are ignored (menu navigation and volume) and then when the 976 does respond to the remote button press it acts like it is executing commands from the past (executing a previously sent series of up when the last command was down).

Yes! This is exactly what I experience. However, I'm wary to call it a 976 software issue due to the fact that using my 990 remote is 100% reliable. I only experience the ignored/erroneous command error using the 976 remote.

The 990 remote works from anywhere in the room, even from angles approaching 90 degrees... even bouncing it off the wall behind me or pointing it at the floor behind a coffee table. It just works.

The 976 remote only works reliably if pointed directly at the 976. Moving a few degrees out of alignment results in missed or incorrect codes. I have not had a remote perform this poorly in my history of AV equipment.

Originally Posted By Outlaw Ben
As previously mentioned every single remote's signal strength gets checked. This happened while we were at the factory. If I have a free minute tomorrow, I will upload a quick video of the process.

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, signal strength is only one small piece of the communications puzzle. The factory testing processes doesn't appear to verify that correct signal is sent, only that something is emitted from the remote. Similarly, it can't check the dispersion of the signal, as the test receiver only reads a single value with the remote in one position.

Given that you now have multiple customers experiencing a similar problem, I feel we'd appreciate a more attentive response than "but, but... it was tested!" I'd like to help get to the bottom of this, but we could use some better guidance from the Outlaw side.

For anyone keeping track:
  • No plasma TV in the room (DLP projector only).
  • The 976 is not inside a cabinet or behind any other visual obstruction
  • Batteries in the 976 remote both read 1.55-1.58 volts
  • The 976 is 100% reliable using the remote from the 990
  • The IR diode on the 976 remote is not obviously misaligned
  • The 976 remote fails when even slightly off target (horizontally or vertically)
  • Distance doesn't affect reliability, except so far as increasingly precise aim is necessary for the signal to be received