I have been very happy with my 990 surround processer but as others I need HDMI switching for HDR displays(projector/flat screen TV.) I did not want to get into the full Dolby Atmos/DTSX. I was going to wait on the flagship Outlaw but I got impatient and purchased the Marantz 7704. My system is 5.1 so I knew the most I would be getting would be Dolby TruHD and DTS. That was ok because later I could expand if I wanted to. The plus heard playing the Marantz 7704 was much better details in the surround channels than the 990 as would be expected due to the newer surround modes. I expected this. The 990 has a warmer fuller sound with less swirling effects. I was playing John Wick 2. Since music is more important to me I next set both the Marantz 7704 and Outlaw 990 to play in their bypass modes (pure mode) is Marantz cleanest mode. I ran the 2 channel analog output of the Oppo 205 into both processors. Both units provided full bass management. All I had to was switch the analog inputs and the sub outs to compare. I played Redbook CD. The first CD I played was Al Di Meola, The Grande Passion. When I read reviews that seem to good to be true I have doubts. The differences heard were staggering. The Marantz sounded thin in the bass, dynamic range was greatly reduced and the highs getting pinched and hard. The lower midrange on the Marantz was smooth. Repeating this with the 990 the impact was like night and day. The sound had weight and meat on the bone. Details were naturally presented and the music would swell in dynamic range. I simply could not believe the difference. I had my wife listen who hates all the audio comparisons. She believes we fail to enjoy the music with so much time spent looking at all these differences. Ok Honey just listen. My wife said the Marantz 7704 sounded like a toy instrument. Before you ask I calibrated both processors to ensure their outputs were equal (manual calibration).
Results: Marantz wins if you want all the bells and whistles and elaborate room eq. It clearly is in another league in regards to surround modes. The 7704 also has outstanding upscaling capabilities and HDMI switching. It is a beautiful piece of gear to look at. If on the other hand audio is more important to you and you need basic switching I believe you will be better served with the Outlaw 976. I have returned the 7704 and ordered the 976.

Edited by singing italian (12/24/17 06:44 PM)