Well, now we get into a philosophical discussion. I initially wanted to know if it was likely that the 976 would have characteristics that would allow me to insert an external, digital, audio processing loop, so I could add things like Dirac Live. It would appear it does not. All solutions require the 976 to be reduced to the role of an HDMI DAC, volume control, and balanced audio driver.

Guess what?

It's a STEAL at $899 for those functions, compared to alternatives.

It's a STEAL at $899 if it just served as a 7.1 ch analog preamp with balanced outputs.

"Cheap" alternatives for such "pure" preamps run into $1k - $2k NEW (Parasound Halo P7) and used (Krell HTS, about 15 years old now). They would both require an HDMI DAC (Essense Evolve II-4k at $299 if one likes ESS Sabre PRO DAC chips).

Granted they probably have better analog stages, but there IS NO 7.1ch analog preamp at the 976's price, regardless of quality, and I don't think the 976 will be all that shoddy.

So, reov8lr is right: niche products are expensive.

But here's the thing: it would not COST Outlaw much to add such "digital audio processor loop" functionality: basically a full 2x2 matrix switch for HDMI sources, switchible to HDMI 1.4 if you didn't want to handle 4k video). Hardware-wise, it would use exactly the same back panel ports, and would be A NICE FEATURE IN IT'S OWN RIGHT: a full second zone home theatre, if you had an A/V preamp there. Most Zone2 A/V preamps aren't matrix switched, or carry full audio: they're designed for a TV in a second room, with stereo audio.

Yeah, I know: every dime turns unto a dollar between cost and retail price. Still.

I predict full blown 2x2 matrix switchers will become a "thing" in A/C pre/pro's in the future.

But, after all my research, the take away is this: the 976 is priced for a song, even it one want's to use very little of it's capability.