The XMC-1 costs far more than the 976, two nanoAVS (HD and DL), and an HDMI 2.0b switch. And, it's not so much a desire for Dirac Live, as it is for OUTBOARD room correction, that may change in the future.

As for "hobbled" HDMI outputs, this is normal for the audio going to a TV and the video for the "audio" or Zone 2 HDMI output.

The Oppo SPECIFICALLY has a secondary HDMI output that can be configured to mirror the main one OR send 720p or 1080p black over HDMI 1.4 with LPCM decoded audio (decoding DTS and Dolby in the player). I was hoping the 976 might be similarly configured.

But, it is increasingly becoming infeasable: even if the 976 provided LPCM audio out it's secondary (or primary) HDMI output, I'd need an HDMI DAC to bring the audio back into the 976 via 7.1ch analog inputs. They exist, but are of questionable audio quality. The 976 is actually the cheapest option to go from 7.1ch LPCM audio over HDMI to balanced analog audio out with volume control. It just means I'll have to use an external HDMI 2.0b switch. And, they aren't expensive.

It really is a pity that pre/pros don't exist with HDMI audio out/in processor loops after the HDMI switch and audio decoder.

Edited by Rene S. Hollan (11/07/17 04:06 PM)