True. I know the 976 has parametric EQ. Most modern A/V processors have some kind. And, for starters that might be fine. The DDRC-88A is not cheap: about $1000. But a large part of that is Dirac Live licensing cost.

An alternative is to decode in the Oppo (it will decode all surround formats to LPCM on the secondary HDMI 1.4 output as well as analog) and follow with a nanoAVR for level, delay, and bass management, and a nanoAVR DL for Dirac Live processing, then to an A/V preamp for DAC, volume control, and balanced output. The nanoAVRs can't handle non-LPCM surround formats for Dolby and DTS licensing issues.

But the issue here is the lack of a proper HDMI 2.0b (HDR and HLG) input in the Oppo along with reported A/V sync issues via that input. It has a great decoder and speaker management, just not for external inputs, which is a real pity. I've even considered using my existing Oppo 103D to decode via its HDMI 1.4 input (which does NOT seem to have A/V sync issues) along with an HD Fury AVR Key. The advantage is that speaker management and room correction follow digitally and the preamp becomes a glorified volume control. The combination of nanoAVR and nanoAVR DL are a bit cheaper than a DDRC-88A, paying for the AVR Key. The Oppo 103D I have, but I'd still need an extra HDMI 2.0b switch. $400.

The 976 would still be relegated to basically an HDMI 1.4 DAC and volume control but might STILL justify the price for that purpose as there is no (decent) product that does this. HDMI 7.1 audio extractors exist but tend to be poor quality. And you'd still need a volume control somewhere.

Now, if the 976 offered an AUDIO HDMI 1.4 "processing loop" using the second HDMI out and the non-HDMI 2.2b input, it would be the bomb: two nanoAVRs would fit right in. (Latency is low with them.) One can dream. I ought to patent that idea.

On Edit: Looks like the Altona switch is only 10.2 Gbps instead of 18. The Sewell Switchdeck seems like a better choice: cheaper by far and one more input.

Edited by Rene S. Hollan (11/01/17 04:14 PM)