Originally Posted By TCat
Originally Posted By Cadboy64
Originally Posted By J.H.
Wow getting close. I was dead set on getting one, but I'm kinda thinking of starting to upgrade my speakers from Def Tech to Ascend Acoustics. That has NOTHING to do with the delay. I wasn't buying till December anyway. Just something I got in my head to upgrade speakers to much more high end. What to do?

Having owned Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2's since they were released I have not had the urge to "Upgrade". They are that stinkin' good. The only upgrade that ever enters my head would be moving to the Sierra towers W/RAAL tweeters, but I am not in any hurry to replace the Sierra-2's.

Having said that, I've never owned Def Tech but have heard those that have gone from them to Ascend have been very happy. YMMV.

Not making a judgement on Ascend, but of course people are almost always happy with their newest purchase. Their ego is vested in validating their newest expense.

The best speakers depend so much on the usage, the space and on what you personally like. I like rich enveloping surround sound where the audio engineer's work is as valued as the cinematographer's. I'm not big into appreciating "stereo" music; it doesn't exist in real life and I seldom take an hour to focus solely on the music in a sweet spot.

I do have a rather purist friend, purist in many ways. Makes him excellent on projects when a team is built with his skills in mind, but often rather hard to integrate into one. His audio preference really is to sit in his sweet spot recliner, nobody talking, and just "listen". He needs a different system.

I have Def Tech bipolars all around. Powered LCR (integrated subs.) Additional rear subs. All sonically matched. They sound amazing, the result is a near-sweet-spot through out a huge space. Properly mixed music - I have a bunch of DTS - is astonishingly good, as are movies - no matter where you are, you know about where the sound was meant to come from.

But it's chaotic to my friend. I suspect it's not orderly enough for his preferences. Bipolars aren't what he wants. For that kind of noise, he'd prefer to go to a theatre, where I suspect his mindset allows it to be okay.

Of course Def Tech makes a wide variety of sound systems. I don't like the Mythos line at all, but I also don't like Bose or B&O. My point after all this rambling and detail is, sometimes the type of speakers matter more than the brand of speakers, to match your needs.

TCat: I don't pretend to be a Saloon moderator and I really don't get into tit-for-tat discussions on forums, but geez, it seems all your posts are thread craps. How folks spend their money is their business and none of mine or yours. If someone invites Saloon member's opinions on a product that is different. J.H. was really just asking whether to wait for the 976 or buy new speakers. So the first two sentences of your post frustrated me. Now if J.H. did get new Ascend speakers he may now read your post and doubt his purchase because you stated "...ego is vested in validating their newest expense." You leave no room for the possibility his new speakers really are better than what he had before. I also don't think the rest of your post added to the discussion Cadboy64 and J.H were having. IMO when someone shells out their hard-earned money It is better to be supportive or say nothing. Lecture over.