Originally Posted By Stephen B
Great post EEman.

Thanks.

I do have a question. Does overall phase change with frequency based phase shifts in crossover components?

Yes. Linkwitz and Reily have become quite famous for designing a crossover filter that is not only is flat in frequency but quite well behaved in phase too. What this means for the speaker is that, in the crossover region, they are moving in the same direction at the same time (i.e. in phase).

With digital signal processing becoming affordable for home theaters it became possible to design filters with perfectly linear phase (FIR filter-Finite Impulse Response filter). These types of filters are popular because linear phase implies that the output in the pass band is the same as the input except shifted in time, usually by half the filter length. It's simple to line up multiple filter outputs (say 10) when you reconstruct the signal.

That's the purist view. Infinite impulse response filters can be made to work also and usually require fewer computations.

You also mentioned setting for a flat response. With stereo the common practice is to set a "house curve". Starting at or just below 200hz dial in a gentle slope to +3db at 20hz. Do we not do this any longer?

idk. I understand the signal processing aspects well enough but the human perception of the acoustics is not my area of specialty. I just do what the experts say. The trick is figuring out who the experts are. laugh
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2