The Emotiva MC-700 has had more than a few teething pains, and is currently not available (planned for about a week out.) The 976 also isn't available yet, but hasn't yet been released. So the ability to hear it, once released, seems more likely.

Of course it's hard to do a real comparison. Likely differences:
1. Outlaw has newer HDMI support - 4 x 2.0b (plus 2 x legacy), while Emotiva has 3 x 2.0a. This will provide the ability to use HLG (hybrid-log-gamma) HDR through the processor. For video wonks such as me, this is pretty important, but if you don't upgrade your sources - won't have a UHD/4K BluRay or Roku in the near future - it won't impact you.

2. Outlaw names their DAC (TI/Burr-Brown), although the context is rather odd (LCR only); Emotiva doesn't name theirs.

3. Conveniences. 976 can play, out of the box, Bluetooth, so that will sound better. wink It has better (and powered) USB support also.

I'm not an Outlaw fanboy - don't own any Outlaw yet. But the MC700 seems to have come with the usual drama from that company. Not only do I need a good sounding pre during the music, but one where I don't hear the gnashing of my own teeth during the quiet parts.