Some years ago I purchased the Outlaw 950/770 combo to run a 5.1 system and subsequently upgraded the 950 to the Marantz SR5005 to run a 7.2 system which has been in place for at least 6 years.

In some ways the Marantz is overkill as I don't utilize its amp ability and I have found that running hdmi from my bluray player through the Marantz to my overhead projector (I have a long run-30 feet and use redmere hdmi that boosts the signal) often leads to intermittent signal loss. I have solved the problem by buying a bluray player with 2 hdmi outputs, 1 directly to the projector for video and 1 to the Marantz for sound.

The Marantz itself seemed overcomplicated with a manual that was not easy to fathom.

My questions is: How much would be gained by exchanging my Marantz for the new 975 (maybe 976). It is certainly more compact with up-to-date electronics and sound processing. It's pricing is quite reasonable but what is the gain?

My current system is the Outlaw 770 amp, the Sr5005 used as a pre-amp (purchased from Outlaw), 2 SVS PC12+ subs, Pinnacle gold reference tower, center and 4 rear/side speakers. I have both the Sony ES40 overhead projector and a 50" Panasonic plasma.