Thanks for the replies:

rdgrimes: Your reply is, unfortunately, what I expected. Your reply has all the appearance of a condescending windbag failing to be didactic in the slightest. However, on the chance you took the time to reply from a desire to be helpful or perhaps even of service, I'll continue below and welcome your continued participation. If not then kindly keep your thoughts echoing in your own head.

XenonMan: I agree that the numbers involved are troubling. The two products SHOULD play nicely together. In fact they HAVE played nicely together for quite a while and at infrequent times both louder and longer than today's abortive listening session.

Short background:
Luxman R115 (70 wpc @ 8 ohms, unknown at 4 ohms)
Outlaw RR2150 (100 wpc @ 8 ohms, 160 at 4 ohms)
Linn DMS (50-500 wpc)
Outlaw LCR (50-300 wpc)
LFM-1 EX

Sometime prior to 2010 the RR2150 replaced the Luxman still using the Linn speakers. Both sound good but different. The 2150's power feels like a solid and supportive platform (laid back, comparatively) whereas the Luxman feels like it's a powerlifter flexing it's muscles (more aggressive, comparatively). Despite their respective power ratings the 2150 is honestly not more powerful than the Luxman. I could turn the Outlaw up All the way on the Linns but going past (approximately) 1 o'clock on the dial offered marginal sonic increases and the sound started to take on a 'hard' character I've always associated with an amp at its limits. It was loud to be sure but the thing was giving all it had - it was tapped out. Doing the same with the Luxman and Linns it just got louder and louder - I don't recall it ever it tapping out at any point on the dial.

Big deal? No big deal as I don't often "crank it up" to those levels. Besides the RR2150 has neat things like bass management and USB input. However, it never seemed (to me) to have the "oomph" I expected (right or wrong) that it should have.

2011, Purchased LCRs (I got 3 to eventually use as l/c/r in surround sound - never got there) to use with the LFM-1 EX. Set up 2 LCR and sub. Used more for TV/movies and some for music too. Does great. Played it quite loud plenty of times. Moved the Linn DMS back to the Luxman to use for a computer sound system, thereby also keeping those monsters out of the living room.

Today: Turn on all the junk. Gonna get loud for a bit. Turned the RR2150 up to about 1 o'clock on the dial (not more than has been done before) and played a song, then played another, then played the first one again. Part way through the sound changed significantly and abruptly. Treble is gone and it sounds like music is being played from in a well (oddly aphasic sounding in a way). Total play time approx 10 minutes. The RR2150 was not particularly warm, let alone hot like it gets after long and loud sessions.

Moved one LCR to old system (Luxman) for testing: It still sounds like crap. Getting sound from both 6.5" drivers, none at all from tweeters (both speakers). Dragged out spare LCR and it sounds fine connected to the RR2150 now (I did NOT crank it up but played at normal volume).

Bummer.

Tweets are toast (

Possible causes (in my mind):
(1) LCR tweeters (and/or crossovers) were somehow defective and chose to die at the exact same moment. I deem this to be extraordinarily unlikely.
(2) LCR crossovers are damaged and tweeters are fine. Eh, could be but this is rather unlikely - as first suggested and subsequently rejected by Ben @ Outlaw.
(3) LCR speakers can't actually handle as much power as they are rated for. I think this is technically possible but not particularly likely as there would have been people squawking about it before now. Although my experience has been that tweeters almost always die before mids or bass, it's actually takes some appreciable effort and quite a long time to croak a speaker by using too much CLEAN power.
(4) RR2150 fed something to the LCRs that they couldn't handle. This seems more likely considering the simultaneous and identical failure mode for both LCRs.

What could have caused this? RR2150 was turned up too loud and produced a signal approaching square waves? This was Ben's supposition. This seems plausible despite me not noting the distortion one would expect from an overdriven amp (however this doesn't mean it wasn't there). At the same time I very much doubt I was anywhere near 112 DB, for crissake it wasn't THAT loud and nothing that hasn't been done before.

What was feeding the RR2150? My computer sends files (via Plex) to an Xbox, connecting to the TV via HDMI and then fixed-level TV output via L/R analog rca pair to the RR2150. I do this since the Xbox has only 1 output and the RR2150 has no video capability. It works OK enough for me.

Could the TV have overdriven the RR2150 input? Fixed level TV output went haywire (say 5+ millivolts perhaps) temporarily and then back to normal? Sure, but not very likely.

Could the song have been recorded at StupidHigh(TM) volume and thereby have the super compressed dynamic range of a potato? Sure, lots of retards have recorded that way. But alas, no it's not any higher than other tracks. Plus, if so it would have likely wrecked things on the first playthrough (remember, Song1, Song2, Song1 and then poof?).

If the RR2150 should not be able to overpower the LCRs then turning up the RR2150 all the way should not cause damage anyway. Yet turning it up (not all the way) did cause damage.

Ben and I discussed some of these thoughts and he and his engineer (Ben called me back after checking tweeter stock/prices and talking with his local tech) believe the RR2150 was just turned up too loud and it output a signal that damaged the tweeters in the LCRs.

Sigh. This means if I want to play occasionally crank it up and play loud (on the current speakers) then I need more/better amplification with a lot more headroom. Or heck, maybe the LCR really just can't handle the overwhelming power of the RR2150 ;-)

P.S. I've since played the same track on the old Luxman receiver (less power) and Linn speakers (which are low efficiency). I wanted to see if the track in question somehow has some crazy spurious information encoded which would kill anything when cranked up. I played the track several times in succession LOUDER than with the RR2150/LCRs. Sounded great, and NO DESTRUCTION ensued. The only difference (other than increased volume) was the bass output was somewhat less since the Linns can't compete with the LFM-1 EX. I think that means nothing here since the LFM-1 EX is not amplified by the RR2150.

P.P.S. So, while I absolutely do blame the RR2150 (I don't believe it performs to the level claimed) I also did NOT cry and demand some sort of compensation, a new RR2150, a different amp, new speakers, a new roof, or a new washer/dryer. I'm the one who cranked it up - I just think it should have been able to handle being cranked up. I bought the replacement tweeters Ben's sending out tomorrow so PLEASE just take a minute and mentally delete from your vitriolic thoughts all the heroic rhetoric in defense of Outlaw you've already got planned. Don't bother to actually type out your nascent diatribe.

P.P.P.S. Damn this has been a lot of words to both explain the situation and forestall the presumed replies and inquiries. In reading my original post I simply asked for some suggestions on power amps. FFS.