Originally Posted By Ritz2
I agree that tasteful room treatments should be the first line of defense (the crazy stuff need not apply since I still have the wife test to pass).

With that said, I find a quality room correction system to be an absolute must for home theater and I've found it to be quite useful for stereo listening as well. I wouldn't even consider going back to a system without it and that's coming from a former adherent to fire bottle everything. Technology marches on.

The 975 doesn't come remotely close to meeting my basic requirements for a home theater processor. The oft-discussed and cancelled processors dangled hope that Outlaw would get it together. I think that ship has sailed. So here's hoping they can partner with a company with serious R&D muscle and that has shown they can deliver the goods. That seems to have worked for them on the higher end amps and subs in the past.

Best,

Lots to agree with but some assumptions / suggestions are a leap...

I think that anyone who doubts the value of high quality automated DSP & equalization in a home-theatre oriented world where the target of upwards of dozen speakers is the goal is completely out of touch. 975 might still sound pretty good but it is a dead-end.

Outlaw is run by a guy with enough experience in the business to know this and beyond the issues that they have shared Peter is also somebody that won't try to sell something that would frustrate / disappoint customers. If that means he has to work with the suppliers and technology license firms at their pace he has proven he'll do whatever it takes.

That said you are kidding yourself if you think because "Outlaw" the online store has any clout with D&M to partner on developing anything. Fact is Peter almost certainly sells few units in a whole year than other more "sales oriented" stores sell in a month.

I also know enough about audio electronics, general digital electronics, and especially software development that in a world where Object Oriented digital sound products are the norm it is laughable to call any of the required circuitry "cruft". You end up sounding like some British member of the House of Lords who fondly remembers having a Land Rover on safari that ran on leaded gas with a carburetor and test drives a Tesla: "Splendid ride Mr. Musk but you'll simply have to drop the cruft of auto-pilot and touchscreens before I'd consider it...". I'm flabbergasted by folks who fail to see that the "power" of advanced pre-pro for home theatre is in minimizing noise floor, extended headroom, accurate digital-to-analog conversion. That is NOT cruft anymore than the whole advanced electric power train / battery tech is what makes a Tesla desirable.
Folks with an outdated notion of pre-pro being tweaked with hand selected capacitors and coil ought to go shop for the audio equivalent of carbuerated Rover, pretty sure when you hear the noise you'll remember what is really "crufty"..,

Beyond that, Peter has previously seen what happens when "contract manufacturers" get nasty grams from their larger "partners" and that sort of thing means he has to walk a tightrope in making something that delivers value / is attractive to customers while keeping his status as an authorized Marantz seller.

I am pretty sure that Peter will not disappoint anyone. As long as he runs this business I know he'll do all he can to be honest with customers and ensure he keeps the lights on!

Edited by renov8r (10/07/16 04:10 PM)