To me an external unit for eq makes sense. Like Owl's Warder I have never found room correction to be needed for anything more than a two channel system. I did a test drive on an Emotiva processor prior to my M-975 purchase and while I can see how some people would like the idea of semi automated room correction the Emotiva unit was underwhelming at the price.

I think I remember reading the processor in the 975 had some sort of room correction available but it ended up sounding worse than going with a manual set up.

From just looking at the unit mentioned above I would prefer a different method of connecting the processor to the eq. Maybe agree on an industry standard for the RS-232 port protocals so it could be used as opppsed to the extra interconnects.

Other than the automated part the Dirac based unit mentioned above is nothing new. White Instruments in their "Paramedic" line of eq units has one model offering up to 48 individual channels. The White Instruments units are big time out of date but could be revamped for home application.

I could see an implementation where the eq module could be a one time buy. People could then upgrade processors to keep up with any new codex they could not live without.