I also agree with the original recording to sound as good as we can make it. As per "live performance" reproduction, I don't know by who's standards live performance should sound like. This "closest to live performance" is a selling phrase to audiophiles who are indeed aging and cannot hear the highest frequencies at original db levels as Clarinet stated in the original post.

So what is "live performance sound" exactly. There is NO exact standard based on perception as people are individuals and as such perceive the "highest quality" sound differently as they taste the highest quality dish. I set my HT system to the director's intent and THEN I tweak it slightly to my room and THEN to my individual taste. On my SVS PB13 Ultra I adusted both PEQs based on my listening preference and set the Q-Factor according to room size and taste on repeated LFE tracks on movies I own.

Buying speakers worth $50k or greater with Plasma Corona tweeters for those of us who's age comes with hair loss and still pursuing the "live performance lie" is assenine at it's finest or worst.

By the time we reach our 70s, who cares about Plasma or Beryllium tweeters.