Originally Posted By: EEman
And it brings up the very important question of what is the minimal, best-bang-for-the-buck Dolby ATMOS configuration for home theater use?
The minimal 5.1.2 set-up will give you the essence of Atmos by letting you hear sounds around you vs sounds above you. For anyone that already has a minimal 5.1 set-up, that means either adding a pair of speakers overhead or a pair of Atmos-enabled height modules. Everything beyond that is an incremental improvement (i.e., better sounds around you and better sounds above you).
Quote:
If we believe the video post (which makes a lot of sense from an engineering point of view, imho) then there is more benefit for a 9.x.2 system than there is for a 7.x.4 system.
A little lopsided for my tastes. Given 11 speakers, I would do a more balanced 7 around me and 4 above me. Plus, 4 speakers above allows for left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement overhead.

Grimani's rooms tend to be a bit overdamped for my tastes. By absorbing early lateral reflections he reduces soundstage width, then advocates speakers at the Wide locations to fix a problem he created.