Thanks so much everyone. I have done as suggested. using analog (5.1) outs. Now I have different problem. When I choose "External 7.1" as the DVD source audio on the 970 the I think I am missing the center audio information. No dialog at all. IF I choose "Digital" on the 970 bass management three way toggle switch I get dialog but much less bass and surround. Now let me back up and say I have been using phantom center. I do not have a center speaker. On the 970 speaker selections I selected

I have Monitor Audio Silver RS6 L and R and their bookshelf model as Surround L and R. Epik Legend Sub. Outlaw 7500 amp.

Speakers size: small. L, R, C,Crossover at 40 (the RS6 goes down to 38), Surround at 80.
Center channel: "None".
Surround back L and R "none".

I assume that the center channel info is being sent to the non existent center channel speaker, but I assumed that it would recognize the speaker setting and put center info across the L and R in mono. Any advice is, as always much appreciated. Thanks guys. FWIW I am upping to a Panasonic BDT 500 in a few weeks.