I would hardly call getting a plasma "cheaping out", quite the opposite, if you can swing the purchase of the now out-of-production Panasonic VT or ZT series 60 or 65" panel there is really no finer image available currently.

The bandwidth issues that there are for 4K will mean any kind of "broadcast" including streaming is just not very likely to be in the cards and the degree to which the content owners like Sony want to keep the 4K owners under their thumb really concern me...

Eventually the manufacturing costs of Organic Light Emitting Diodes ought to be closer to the current plasma cost but I would not invest in that technology until 4K density is more common.

A 4K projector would of course have LOTS more potential for really knocking your socks off but the other factors that go into not just resolution but also an extended color space and more tightly defined specs for dynamic range (which Dolby is working on...) could be the trigger for a whole new era of "beyond UHD" sets but like other "format wars" the early adopters will get burned.