Aloha Xenon,

Thanks for that reply. I did a pretty good cleaning the other day. The 990 itself is in near mint shape.

I got the remote in the mail yesterday and after a bit more mucking about, I got everything working! Seems like there was a poor connection to the display, or perhaps if it's not used for a long time it has issues.
But no matter as I got it up and running! I've got it hooked up to a $5 Onkyo M5160 Amp, a set of $200 Klipsch LaScallas (actually LSIs) and a $50 JBL 18" powered sub. It sounds a lot better than the crappy mixer I was using before. A LOT more upfront presence. This whole system cost me $325 and has an awesome old-school sound...stoked to having it working!

I used to be a (hack) music producer, but I went deaf in one ear from a diving accident a decade ago and so now I'm not much of an audiophile. Surround sound, Dolby Pro etc is pretty much wasted on a monaural guy like I am now. Still I can hear perfectly with my one remaining ear so I can still hear a huge boost to definition and clarity. The amp is not the best, but it's got a full 150W per channel and I might now elect to bi-amp the speakers.
I don't know much about optical inputs, etc. Might have to learn more about it. I've got a couple 55" LED TVs that have digital outputs, so I'll have to do some homework.
Probably leave the 990 out in the man cave just for music though.
Again thanks to Jim at Outlaw and this forum. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Mahalo nui!

Edited by kauai1800 (10/11/13 04:55 PM)