Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: FAUguy
Ok, I need to simplify this down some.

For the analog audio connections, I can do one of two things:
1) Use the 7.1 out from the Oppo 95 to the Outlaw 990 (for BD/multi channel), and also the 2ch RCA stereo outs from the 95 to the 990 (for CD).
-or-
2) Use the 2ch RCA L/R from the Oppo, along with the Center, Surrounds, and sub, all to the 990's 7.1 input.

If I do option 1, then I'd have to switch inputs on the 990 between the CD and 7.1 depending on what discs and output I'm using on the Oppo.
If I go with option 2, then I would have to use the 7.1 input on the 990 for both CD and BD.

Technically, if you go with option 1, then you have the option of switching between 7.1 Direct input and stereo analog input. The 7.1 Direct input works for any disc you are playing. In option 2, you will only have the 7.1 Direct input connected.

Either way, I'd have to place the 990 in Bypass mode to avoid its internal A/D/A, so that the sound quality remains pure from the Oppo. But with the 990 in Bypass mode, it sends full-range sound to all speakers. Because of this, would it then be best to just have the 990 set on "Large" and do the bass management in the Oppo? That way the crossover work is done by the Oppo and sent to the 990, which would be in Bypass mode. Does that seem OK? I'm just trying to find out which is the best way to set-up the Oppo with the 990, while maintaining a clean signal, but also proper bass crossovers.

The only time that the bypass mode comes into play is when you are using the stereo analog connection. The bypass mode isn't an option when using the 7.1 Direct input. Aside from that clarification, you are correct.

When I got my B&W 804S/HTM3S speakers 5 years ago, I did experiment with the crossover settings. I started out with all the front/center set to 80Hz. I didn't like this, because I could hear it mess with the sound stage; such as if there was cello & double-bass that would normally be coming out of my left speaker, I would then hear it come from the sub that is on the right side of the room. I then lowered the crossovers to 60HZ, and it was better, but eventually went to 40Hz for the fronts and 60Hz on the center, which to me left the imaging in place, yet still sent the frequencies below that to the sub. Since I'm a musician, I have pretty good hearing and am picky when it comes to music and sound quality.

That works - just wanted to make sure you'd tested the options. I still wouldn't set the sub's crossover too low because of the impact it will have when in a multichannel mode.

Regarding the video, instead of having to buy the HD Furry product, if I were to instead use an HDMI-to-DVI cable from the Oppo and connected it to the 990's DVI input, could I then send the video from the 990's Component output to the TV? The user guide doesn't really say if this is possible or not. Or does the 990 just to DVI input to DVI output and doesn't send it to Component as well?

DVI switching in the Model 990 does not include conversion to analog video - it only feeds one of the two DVI inputs to the DVI output. Aside from the hardware costs that would have been involved in implementing that back in 2004 or 2005, there are the same rules that prevented others from pushing scaled video through component. Technically, HD Fury is doing something that is not supposed to be done, but they are small enough and have stayed under the radar enough that they've been able to continue.

So basically what you're saying is that if using the 2ch RCA out from the Oppo to the 990, the 990 can be in Bypass mode to bypass its A/D/A and the internal bass management crossover. But the 990's 7.1 input can't be placed in bypass mode, and therefor can't bypass the A/D/A and internal crossover?

What I was thinking was to just use the Option 2 that I listed earlier, and have the Oppo's 2ch stereo + center, surrounds, and sub sent to the 990's 7.1 input. Use the bypass mode on the 990 and do all the crossovers on the Oppo. But if the 990 can't do bypass with its 7.1 input, then I'd have to let the 990 do the crossovers instead of the Oppo.

I was planing to look for some pre-owned MIT cables for the Oppo, to match what I've got between the 990 and 7500. That's why I was thinking it would be more cost effective to use 6 cables (5.1) instead of 8 cables (5.1 and 2ch).

EDIT:

After thinking about this some today, if I had the Oppo's 2ch stereo RCA out connected to the 990's CD RCA inputs, and had the 990 in Bypass mode, would it still get a sub signal from the Oppo and direct it to the sub?

Edited by FAUguy (02/15/13 12:03 AM)