Originally Posted By: XenonMan
The amps power supply is expecting AC which oscillates its signal at 60 hz. DC does not oscillate and may affect the amp because it adds noise to the circuit and some of the components respond differently to DC current vice AC current. I have seen AC get into a DC circuit because it can induce a current in wire but how DC gets into an AC circuit is beyond my electrical experience. EEMan may be better able to explain since I think he is an electrical engineer.

Most of the times what people are talking about is corruption of the 60Hz AC signal resulting in the average voltage being something other than 0 volts. Motors are prime corruption suspects. Why is this bad? Transformer core magnetization follows a curve called a hysteresis loop. If the AC signal stay symetrical around 0V then the loop stays centered around 0. If there is a DC offset on the AC signal then the loop will start moving away from zero towards saturation where buzzing is possible.
I never thought about this until this thread, but it makes a lot of sense and matches what I'm hearing in my system. I wonder if I need to invest in one of those power conditioners that output a pure 60Hz sine wave.