For reference, the efficiency on the Monitor 11 is 94dB room/91dB anechoic.

Output from the 975 with my Blu-ray player and Apple TV is fine. Definitely enough for movies, and maxes out around 98-100dB average output level when I need to crank up some music. I don’t listen that loud for hours on end, but I’m a bass player, and sometimes you just gotta have that thump. :-)

My problem is that with the cable box/DVR - my primary daily viewing source - the system maxes out at 77dB average at the listening position (12 feet from mains in a 13’ x 21’ room).

It’s most bothersome when watching concerts. Soundgarden, Rush, Foo Fighters, Austin City Limits...it’s just not an involving experience at that volume. I tested several recordings from different channels, and I tried both HDMI and coax with the same results.

So the DVR volume isn't really workable for concert viewing, it’s OK for casual tv/movie viewing, and it doesn’t quite get there for critical movie viewing. (To be fair, I don’t do much critical movie viewing on cable, but I DO watch a lot of concerts.)

By comparison, with the DVR source, the 950 produces a 90dB level with a 0dB volume setting, with an additional 10dB of gain still available.

And the Marantz SR5007 produces an 80dB level with a 0dB volume setting, with an additional 18dB of gain still available.

So my issue seems to be that my two previous processors either offer more gain to start with, or offer enough boost to compensate for the lower source level coming from the DVR, while the 975 doesn’t provide a way to get the output level up where it needs to be.

I have to weigh that against my issues with the 5007: It’s a big waste of space, it runs VERY warm even though I’m just using it as a preamp, and it’s got a random black crush video problem that I can’t track down. I've been waiting through the 978/998/997 development as well, so I REALLY want the 975 to work for me...

Depending on your sources, the 975 could work great in your system. I’m not seeing anyone else having any volume issues. With Outlaw’s return policy, it’s probably at least worth a try for you.

Edited by ampegg66 (01/03/13 03:14 AM)
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Subwoofer
SA8300HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV