I'm in the process of putting together my first "real" home audio and theater set-up. So far, I have purchased my display, HTPC/media server, and DVD player.

Now I am researching the audio portion of the system. For my money, this is the most important part of the package.

Focusing strictly on the audio, I am interested in everyone's thoughts on budgeting; specifically, is there any general rule of thumb regarding apportioning budget between pre/pro-amp, speakers, and sub?

Based on my research, I am considering anchoring the system with the 990/7200 combo. Because of budgetary constraints, I am also interested in recommendations for the best way to put things together in stages. For example, would it be better to buy my "final" mains and sub with the 990/7200, holding off on the center and surrounds (I am very into music, so the home theater aspect of the system, while important, is lower on my list of priorities), or should I consider a complete intermediate speaker set-up, and then trade up to a "final" system later? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance for all feedback.

The Current Set-Up:
Display: Westinghouse LVM-42w
HTPC: Sony VGX-XL2 Digital Living System + 1TB RAID 0 HDD Storage
DVD: Oppo OPDV971H (currently on its way back to exchange for the DV981HD wink )