Unfortunately accurate. Two things involved: first and foremost, it's the mobile thing: iPods, smart phones and tablets. I could be cynical and call it laziness, but it's more like convenience. The average consumer has given up sound quality for the convenience of carrying a sound system in their pockets. The other factor, to a much lesser degree, is the old WAF factor. Most households don't have a spare room that can be solely used as a home theater (or higher end audio room), so a home theater setup must be blended with other functions of a room. Women do not like speakers (there must be a chromosome for that strong feeling) intruding their "decor", and cannot fathom why speakers (or associated electronics) could possibly cost hundreds or thoursands of dollars. Result: that 40" LCD TV and soundbar which the article writer magnanamously calls a home theater. If that's what most people buy to make up their home theater, then there's not much for mass market media to write about. It's not going to get better. More and more people will carry their audio and video with them and also "stream" it, and thus won't have a pent up desire to go home at the end of the day to listen to music or watch a movie in a larger venue than what's in their pocket.