Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Although almost any room can use some correction I would rather do it physically in the room than metaphysically in the processor.
Likewise, I would rather do it physically than electronically (I don't see how room correction is metaphysical). By that same logic, I would rather listen to discrete multi-channel than 2-channel sources processed to surround, just as I would rather watch real hi-def video than standard-def scaled to my 1080p display.

But that belies the very reason we have surround processing and video scaling: for instances when we don't have multi-channel audio or HD video (respectively). Likewise, electronic room correction isn't a replacement for room treatments, it is for instances where you can't treat the room physically.

For most consumers, it is very difficult to find a panel that will pull down a 6dB high-Q peak centered at 43.5Hz without affecting adjacent frequencies. For people in those situations, it is more practical to use a parametric EQ; even easier if the measuring and equalization are done automatically.
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Audyssey XT versus XT32 isn't that big of an improvement over a room that has been adjusted to start with.
How do you know that? XT distributes filter taps evenly across the audible frequency range, even though it does little good (could even make things worse) in the higher frequencies. By comparison, XT32 concentrates more filter taps in the lower frequencies, where problems are the most audible and correction can yield the most improvement. XT32 also treats multiple subs more intelligently, calibrating each sub (setting levels and distances) independently but equalizing them together (i.e., essentially EQing their interaction in the room). XT equalizes each sub separately, even though we never ever hear them that way during playback.

Taken together, both those differences make the improvements of XT32 audible over old XT, even in rooms that are well treated (unless you believe that rooms can be perfectly treated, leaving zero problems to fix electronically). The room doesn't have to be "whacked beyond control" in order to hear the improvements that automated room correction can achieve. Even the most professionally treated home theatres use equalization as a finishing touch; they wouldn't be doing that if it was a "minor consideration".