I was looking for a 978 SQ level processor with room correction of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 pedigree or similar (Anthem ARC, Trinnov, etc.). This entry level Model 975 won't cut it for me. I want a processor with digital room correction and a DAC/preamp section that gives me high-mid to entry high-end level performance. The 978 was supposed to be that processor if we can believe the anecdotal rumors from the Outlaws.

I think that the only 978-like processor that Outlaw will be selling in a few months, as I had predicted two months ago but for different reasons, will be the Marantz AV7007. I'm hoping that Marantz ups the ante to XT32, which I have a feeling they'll do (if they're smart). I think most of you should look in that direction for a replacement to the 978. Those of you that can afford a circa $3K price tag should even consider the higher-end rumored Marantz AV8007.

I won't be wasting much more of my time dwelling on what might have been with this 997/978 grail adventure. It's very sad for everybody involved, Outlaw Audio as well as all their enthusiastic customers, but it's time to move on.