Originally Posted By: bobm
Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
^^^
I had a 950, and I am very familiar with Outlaw's other SSP's. I have also had a budget AVR or two in my lifetime. I most certainly got more enjoyment out of the 950.

I replaced my 950 with a budget AVR and the sound quality seems the same to me. I listen in 2 channel mostly and I think Yamaha nailed that years ago. I still like the idea of purchasing Outlaw gear for the support, both from Outlaw and the community here. If Outlaw comes out with a budget pre/pro that is well reviewed I will certainly order one.

One thing that bothers me is the designer of year that is built into the Outlaw business model. Need a product find a designer. It would seem to me that the larger brands; Yam, Onk,… would have an advantage of consistency working with the same team and manufacturing facility. Perhaps they swap around as well I don’t know?

-Bob

I went from a 990+755 to a budget Denon AVR-1912. I don't perceive a difference in audio source quality. However, the amplification is clearly not as beefy as my old Outlaw 755 and that IS noticeable.

I'm reasonably confident that if I used an $800 Onkyo AVR's pre-outs to the same Outlaw amplifier, I'd likely be unable to tell the difference between that and the 990 in a blind test. And now that Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is available in units for well under a grand, that's pretty intriguing as well.

Best,