It is rather encouraging to see Emotiva take a high road on this. While I suppose the cynics might believe this is merely the politically expedient way to gain new customers I suspect that folks who toil against the onslaught of "me too" products share more common traits than differences.

Funny thing too is I have been involved in audio as a hobby and the broader field of electronics as a vocation long enough to know that those who dance on the grave of their compeititors very often seal their own fate. The wise learn from the misfortune of their peers and hopefully can alter their own trajectory to make a better end-point more likely...

Even for those who may been lining up to take their metaphorical swing at the "bully" who pulled the rug out from under the 978 might be wise to examine the hows and whys of what has really transpired -- in the increasingly TIGHT confines of higher performance audio components the steps that BOTH traditional nameplates and upstarts need to take to ensure their survival are becoming increasingly desperate. I would caution those that feel compelled boycot a firm or to "roll their own" understand that in doing so they may further hasten the demise of firms of making even the sub-components needed to keep the audio landscape viable.

For those who remember seminal moments in the history of other consumer electronics firms I hope this becomes a chapter more like Apple's cancelation of clones tthan like the debacles of other firms...

Really in the "big picture" of trying to get MORE people atuned to the worth of high quality home theatre / audio systems this is a dark day. To think that folks that are increasingly unable to justify ANY discretionary spending will be forced to probably double their outlay for products of similar features will do other that SHRINK the whole market is sad....

Originally Posted By: gonk
Nice comment from Lonnie. As Lonnie points out, Emotiva and Outlaw share a similar place in the market (even though their product lines cover different ground), and that market's consumers lost one choice when this happened. What's bad for both companies' consumers can be seen as bad for the shared market as a whole. I think the celebrating is likely in whatever office generated the idea of triggering the death of the 978.