Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
^^^

My impression is that there is still some kind of HDMI signal lock problem that delays audio for a second or two after signal interruption. You might not think that's that big a deal on the surface, but I think I came across a mention, that for example, every time you fast forward through a commercial on a DVR, bingo, it takes 1 or 2s after that to get the audio back. That's a pretty big day to day operational problem IMO. I'm sure there'd be more info about fixed and existing problems of the 972 on AVS though.

I can imagine that being pretty annoying. It wouldn't really affect my typical usage, but I hear ya. In any case, it seems like the price point for really high end room correction is within the reach of almost anyone interested in higher end sound these days. You've got Trinnov for $600, Audyssey XT32 for $1000-1350, and if you believe Emotiva you'll have TaCT's solution for about $1500 soon. The times they are a changin'.

With respect to the R972, there's a long thread in the receivers forum on AVS with comments from Noah Katz (who posts here from time to time) and, more importantly, Curt Trinnov.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179978/sherwood-r-972-user-thread

People seem to like the Trinnov processing in spite of the other sometimes annoying quirks with the device. Definitely worth reading. At $600, it might be worth it for me to just get one for the sake of playing with Trinnov. (edit: Curt is actually Curt Hoyt, Trinnov's director of US operations for those who might not know.)

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/15/12 11:55 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification