Originally Posted By: jam
give America a little more credit. Intel, IBM, AMD, TI, Analog Devices, Motorola, Marvell just to name a few, are all great American companies that design and manufacture some of the most complex electronic and ICs in the world.

And none of the complicated and best known ones manufactured in the USA. In addition to wafers and packaging being done overseas (China, Taiwan, Thailand, etc.) those companies are also largely international with engineering talent spread all over the place. But that's moot, because I also said nothing about design, but about manufacture. Plenty of goods are designed in the USA and built in China.

The world leading consumer electronics company, Apple, headquartered in Cupertino California with offices all over the world, has the majority of its products manufactured in China, with some components sourced from other countries, also primarily in Asia (Korea, Japan, etc.) Some quantity of their mobile offerings are now also built in Brazil - likely with components all shipped from Foxconn in China.

These world-class product are not only *not* made in the USA, they are not possible to build in the USA today.

Sure, there's corruption in China. There's corruption everywhere in the world to varying degrees. I don't think that has anything to do with the ability to make a quality product.

With regards to BMW if you haven't owned an 8 year old BMW, it's not fair to comment. I have, and the previous comment is about repair costs is BS.