Originally Posted By: jam
Ideally, you'd have to find a dealer that sells a processor or receiver with XT32 and that also happens to have the older model of that same gear with XT from his used gear lot. Now if that dealer were to be kind and patient enough to setup a system with the XT gear and do the calibration, then allow you to listen to a few tracks and then insert the XT32 gear in place of the XT, that would be the best possible comparison. But in practice, finding a dealer with the necessary gear and the extra-ordinary patience and willingness to perform those tests is highly improbable.

I think it would be best to do the comparison in ones own room. I had the Onkyo 886 for over 3 years and found XT worked well for movies and at times for MCH Hi-Rez music. I never used XT for 2CH music as I did not find the SQ to my liking.

I recently bought a Denon 4311 with XT32 and it is a nice improvement over the 886 with XT. The most significant gains are how my Rythmik F12SE sub blends with my Salk SongTowers. Another noticable gain is how much better my surrounds blend with my LCR speakers especially with MCH music. I have been enjoying 2CH music with XT32 enabled as well. Although my comparisons were not the least bit scientific I feel XT32 is a nice improvement over XT. YMMV smile.

So unless one has experience with both XT and XT32 it is hard to pass judgement either positive or negative wink.

Bill