Originally Posted By: XenonMan
but I have to ask why the sales of discs have gone down.

Because, IMO, most people don't give a crap about audio and video quality. They are just in it for the convenience:

Quote:
It is because streaming is too convenient and cheap right now.

Yup. smile

I think there is something else at work here too. When I watch something on TV, I watch it because I specifically want to watch it. But I think for a lot of people (most?), they just surf until they find something they can put up with. Here's another way to look at it: my Netflix queue has over 300 titles in it. But only 39 of those are streamable. So in my case, I simply cannot survive with streaming alone.

For my wife, that poor selection of streaming titles satisfies her, because she looks through the titles that Netflix has until she finds something she's OK with.

See the difference? I watch a movie because I specifically want to watch *that* movie. My wife will just search for *something*, *anything* to watch, just to occupy her time. I think most people are in the latter category. Audio/videophile vs the average Joe (or Mary).

I don't see how it could be any other way, because otherwise, how could the average person be satisfied with the selection that Netflix (and other streaming services) have? I.e., they don't care about the poor selection, video, and audio quality, they just care about price and convenience. Which IMO, is a shame.

Edited by Kevin C Brown (05/16/12 07:26 PM)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!