if you are using a tv for gaming on consoles then there is no point of going above even 720p atm, if next gen consoles support higher resulution than 1080p i am sure people will wan't that high res monitors, just as a lot of people got 1080p monitors for ps3/360.. streaming in bluray quality should be possible. a 90 min long video on a dual layer 50GB disc allows a bitrate of 72Mbps, this is fully possible to stream with good broadband.

hdmi can't send 4k with higher refreshrate than 24hz. displayport 1.2 allows 3840*2160, 60hz. to take full benefit of 4k streaming you will need a broadband of about 1GBps(and some way to stream in that quality). i beleave 2560*1440 is becoming standard for pc monitors since apple is pushing out computers with 1440p. most pc users that are serius with their monitors will get a resulution of atleast 1440p and ips panel.

i can just hope hdmi will get dropped in favor of something better, displayport 1.2 seams to be more common than hdmi for good graphic cards some graphic cards doesn't have hdmi at all. it's just time for monitors to have dp 1.2 as well. then companies like outlaw won't have to spend 2 years getting hdmi 1.4a to work good.

Edited by anjora (05/10/12 04:22 PM)