I guess I did interpret properly what some thought was Gonk's last post from March 21st. Glad to see you're still around Gonk.

I've yet have to convert my CD collection to FLAC, which I've been meaning to do for a while. Since it takes a lot of time to do this operation, I intend to use a NAS that will replicate to a second NAS unit for fault tolerance purposes.

However, I also have some cherished DVD-Audio and SACD discs. The SACD layers from SACDs are extremely problematic to rip. You need a 1st or 2nd generation PS3 as those play SACD and there's some software on Linux that's supposed to get the job done but I think the DSD streams have to get converted to PCM if I'm not mistaken. DVD-Audio can be now be ripped with "DVD Audio Extractor". When it comes to multichannel playback of DVD-Audio and SACD stored of hard drives, I haven't seen too many elegant solutions and I'd rather not use a HTPC anywhere near my audio gear. So I may have to continue using my Oppo BDP-83 for that.

As for video, when you begin to have like over 100 Blu-ray titles, that takes an awful lot of disc space (about 5TB) for some movies you may get to watch every few other years. Then there are the DVD titles I won't re-buy on BD. For the video side, I personally don't thing that the time and hard disk expense is worth it.

Edited by jam (05/09/12 06:36 PM)
Edit Reason: added thought