Originally Posted By: Hank
Good to hear from you, Gonk.
Quote:
In contrast, I've looked at options for migrating from physical disc to hard drive storage repeatedly over the years, and never felt that the labor and hardware cost involved (hours spent transferring hundreds of disc to the computer, hard drive storage costs, costs to include redundancy for the inevitable drive failures, and media appliance costs to gain access to the material from at least three or four locations throughout the house) was worth it to me.

That's also my reply to twistybox's post above. I don't mind taking a CD or DVD out of my media shelves and sliding it into a player. And, if a HTPC or NAS provides me with same quality audio as the likes of an OPPO 95 and Outlaw 978, etc, it is still way too many hours of disc ripping that I will take out of my life. I do see the appeal of convenience though, so as alway, "To each his own". The music and the movie experience is what it's all about. smile

Again, it is the Quality of Experience camp vs The Convenience camp. I recall looking at big LP collections with great respect and admiration. The same holds true now to an impressive disc collection (although not quite the same). That is part off the experience. I look at a hard drive and think, "meh" could be 10 could be 10,000, who cares. Cold, sterile, and very unappealing. As Gonk pointed out the death of disc media is not as close as many here tend to predict. It will be around for those who know better.

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both