While I would agree that it is still necessary to buy physical media to acquire audio/video content, it has ceased to be the most convenient way to play it back...at least for me. Audio CDs get immediately ripped to FLAC (lossless) and video content gets immediately ripped to high bitrate 1080p H.264 and unmolested DTS or Dolby digital audio tracks. I can play all of that content with a simple $99 Roku hockey puck connected to my theater receiver. No muss...no fuss. You could also go the route of building your own small media server and connect that to your system with a simple HDMI connection (unless you're still using your Outlaw 990...heh). You could build a really state of the art system that will easily play any content you can throw at it for about $500-600 (including 128GB SSD for the OS and a 2TB data drive). Personally, I'm comfortable going the Roku route for now and I just keep all my media on network attached storage in a closet. I can't imagine going back to physical media again after experiencing the convenience of doing things this way with no loss in audio quality and no perceived loss in video quality.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (05/09/12 11:11 AM)
Edit Reason: typo