Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
Originally Posted By: AusTexRocker
I find myself on the opposite side of this view. I would prefer my heavy processing done at the source, in this case the OPPO-95 (which seems like it will do a better job in all accounts). This pretty much takes the burden away from the 978 and allows it to focus on SQ and switching duties and future proofs it from future changes in DAC and video chip technology. There is certainly no point in having high end chips in every component. You could go the route of a cheap source feeding the 978 but I belive the theory of "junk in-junk out" might apply here and why feed the 978 junk? Any upgrades to an OPPO-95 type product would likely still be less expensive and another pre-pro.

I don't understand your desire to pair a BDP-95 with an Outlaw pre-pro, other than as a cheaper alternative to something like a Parasound P-7. With a device "designed from the ground up with components optimized for enhanced analog audio performance" the Outlaw's room correction and other audio and video processing capabilities are essentially moot (except for cable or satellite TV).

You are right that for me, the matching to a 978 is not ideal. My preference would be a device more like the Parasound P7. I am holding on to perhaps a futile wish that one of those new items Scott teased us with is something more in line with a traditional multi-channel preamp doing just the functions that Hank and I describe. It would likely be the last preamp I would ever need and as tech changes, a new source device will handle that. However, as you pointed out, the 978 may cost less than the P7 and certainly does so much more. Even if I would never use many of those functions, that keeps my interest alive for now.

Although I never owned a 990, XenonMan nailed it. With just a few updated that would be a killer.

Bedroom-Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RCD 1072, Dana Audio model 1

Blue Jeans connection on both