Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey

On the professional reviews, I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not so sure. It was over a year before the UMC by Emotiva was "professionally" reviewed, by Audioholics. In my opinion, they gave a rose colored glasses review since the thing was still pretty buggy at that point, and bugging customers to no end in some cases.

As I said in my post, I'm interested in the pro reviews for the test measurements. All reviews have to be looked at with a certain level of criticism and sometimes downright skepticism as many pro reviewers often have conflicts of interest by the mere fact that the producers advertize on their websites and/or publications. The areas where professional reviews often fail is in the stability and reliability of the reviewed product. Because of review time constraints and the infeasibility of properly testing all the possible permutations in using a complex product, a reviewer cannot realistically find out about all the little bugs and stability issues unless they're really major and obvious, which in most cases they'll report back. That's when one has to resort to reading the forums to see what the buyers have to report on their experiences using the product.

For myself, I'm looking for stable operation and better-than-avr SQ, with an excellent analog stage. But I won't be in a position to buy for about a year, so things will most likely be bug free by then.

Same here although I'd like to get much higher than AVR SQ. I hope the 978 can be better than an Integra DHC-80.3 in terms of SQ, which I believe is feasible considering that the 978 will have a far less complex design and feature set. I'm hoping that it could turn out to be the "Oppo BDP-95" of the AV processor market. A guy can dream, can't he? OK, so many I'm dreaming in Technicolor. wink

I admit to not being totally familiar with Outlaw's pre-pro history. Have their models been still buggy after 1 1/2 years as Emotiva's latest was? We seem to be lumping the two companies together as if their track record is exactly the same. Is it? I know I see a far lower percentage of threads complaining about defects here than at Emotiva's forum.

I can't speak to those issues as I have no personal experience with either Outlaw or Emotiva products and I haven't been following their reliability history. From my observations and detached perspective, I don't think that most folks around here are lumping the two companies together with respect to product stability.