Originally Posted By: jam

As for reviews, I'm also interested in what the professional reviewers have to say and not only on the opinions of the buyers. I think that websites such as Audioholics and Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity will probably come out with reviews in a fairly timely manner, specially if the Outlaws send them early evaluation units. When buying gear, I like to take into consideration objective test measurements, not only subjective impressions and these two websites performs test measurements. I also wouldn't be surprised if Kalman Rubinson from Stereophile were to some day review the 978 or the XMC-1 it in his Music in the Round column. Kalman has a strong interest for reviewing more affordably priced multi-channel AV processors and receivers that include digital room correction; he's also very active on the AV Science Forum | AMPs, Receivers, and Processors Threads.

On the professional reviews, I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not so sure. It was over a year before the UMC by Emotiva was "professionally" reviewed, by Audioholics. In my opinion, they gave a rose colored glasses review since the thing was still pretty buggy at that point, and bugging customers to no end in some cases.

For myself, I'm looking for stable operation and better-than-avr SQ, with an excellent analog stage. But I won't be in a position to buy for about a year, so things will most likely be bug free by then.

I admit to not being totally familiar with Outlaw's pre-pro history. Have their models been still buggy after 1 1/2 years as Emotiva's latest was? We seem to be lumping the two companies together as if their track record is exactly the same. Is it? I know I see a far lower percentage of threads complaining about defects here than at Emotiva's forum.