Originally Posted By: Strider53
I too enjoy WDET.
There is also 90.9 WRCJ during the day for classical, evenings for jazz.
Or 89X on Sunday mornings for retro.

Do any of them also stream? I guess part of the appeal of streaming is that it allows me to listen to things that I couldn't otherwise do via terrestrial RF transmission. One of the things that really turns me off to Sirius/XM etc is while there seems to be great variety, the bit-rates are so low that I just can't listen to it (which is why I see no real value in sat radio). Thus, with KEXP (for example), while I am not at all crazy about 128 kbps, the shows are so great that I am willing to check my intolerance of sub-standard audio in order to hear some really cool and obscure tracks.

Back to WDET...I wonder how many web-listeners Ann Delisi's Essential Music garners each week. I really love that show - she always plays great tracks, and has some great back-stories behind the tracks, their production etc.

As far as WRCJ, yes, I have listened to them via conventional FM (as I do for WDET), and you're right - there's some great stuff there. I have not been using the tuner in my 990 due to the issue my unit appears to have with comb-filtering on analog sources, but I have a NAD 1600 and a 1700 (old-school analog FM), and the WDET and WRCJ signals sound really good, albeit level-compressed. There are times that I think I should buy another 1600, or a similar tuner (alone) from NAD, feed its tape out (or just output if a tuner) to an outboard A/D and take that into the 990.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by old_school_2 (04/19/12 09:14 AM)
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237