Originally Posted By: Ritz2

As a result, I don't see the 978 being popular at all. They are WAY too late to the party and are missing significant feature sets that are commonplace in the industry now. Sure, some diehard Outlaw fans will buy them, but these things aren't going to sell well. I wouldn't wish any bad luck on Outlaw, but that's what I see happening.

Originally Posted By: Patrick Williams
^^^^
I think for the pre/pro category it will sell very well. It all depends just how many people are waiting for a pre/pro with Audyssey XT32 and balanced outputs. There just aren't many out there with these two features.

Ritz, sometimes it's better late than never my friend, unless a competitor comes out with a similar product and pulls the rug from under your feet, so there is a limit ultimately. AV processors are a fairly small market any way you look at it, partly because most of them are fairly expensive; separates are simply a more expensive proposition. Maybe this explains why Marantz haven't come out with an AV8005(6), as rumored, to replace the discontinued AV8003. Outlaw may indeed sell them in relatively small numbers considering that they've also lost sales from the last couple of years to people who got tired of waiting and bought another brand.

I myself don't own any Outlaw gear but I'm looking for an affordable processor with a good digital room correction system to help me tame the terrible acoustics of my square listening room. Audyssey's MultEQ XT32 has been awarded the "Accessory of the Year" award for 2011 by Stereophile. But above all, the criterion I place the highest emphasis on is the SQ. In regards to some of the missing features, as many have mentioned, most of them can be added by third party boxes you can connect to the 978. Time will tell how this thing pans out.

Edited by jam (04/17/12 01:37 AM)
Edit Reason: syntax