Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey
With the amp comparison, one of them is made in China, which accounts for some of the difference. With the pre-pro comparison, I think they both will be made "back east" so the manufacturing part of the price tag would be similar.

As has been mentioned, I concur that Outlaw would use more robust parts in their amps when you simply compare transformer sizes, output device numbers and THD at rated power with the Emotiva amps. Well, you can't compare parts for THD, but why Emotiva spec'ed their amps to do .1% THD at full rated power is a cost saving measure in my opinion. Surely it costs more to spec amps to do rated power at .03 or thereabouts as Outlaws amps do? Which also gives them more clean headroom before getting into audible distortion.

I haven't looked inside an Emotiva amp so I'll take your word for it about the quality of the parts. I do like the fact that they publish the actual test results for their amps online. 0.1% THD at rated power isn't too shabby. THD at rated power for Outlaw's flagship 7900 is .05% (0.05% better) so I don't find the 0.1% at rated power value to be bad.

When I originally loaded up on Outlaw gear, I did so based on looking at the innards of a friend's 755. It was built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Given Outlaw's move to cheaper offshore-produced product in other arenas, I can't help but wonder what's going to become of the relationship they have with ATI for their USA-manufactured multichannel amps.

Best,